Born in Chicago, IL on Oct. 15, 1871. Hubacek came to San Francisco by covered wagon as a child of five and began painting at age twelve. His art studies were at the Mark Hopkins Institute under Yelland, Mathews, and Joullin. His first studio was in the family home in the Mission District at 823 York Street. After continuing his art training in France, Germany, and Italy, he returned to San Francisco and taught at the Mark Hopkins. A great portion of his earlier works was lost when his studio was destroyed in the earthquake and fire of 1906. In 1938 he moved down the peninsula to San Bruno where he had a studio in his home at 241 San Luis Avenue. His many students from the surrounding area called him “The Old Master.” A highly competent painter of realistic still lifes and landscapes, his work reflects a thorough academic training. Hubacek died in San Bruno on June 14, 1958. Exh: Calif. State Fair, 1892-99; San Francisco Art Association, 1893-1906; World’s Columbian Expo (Chicago), 1893; Calif. Midwinter Int’l Expo, 1894; PPIE, 1915; San Mateo Co. Fairs; GGIE, 1939; NY World’s Fair, 1939; San Bruno Public Library, 1958 (retrospective). In: Oakland Museum; CHS; San Bruno Public Library; Orange Co. (CA) Museum. AAA 1917; CSL; DR; SF Chronicle & Examiner, 6-16-1958 (obits).
Written by Eden Hughes